top of page

Points of Interest


Heswall Sign.jpeg


Gayton Windmill – The restored mill, which was built in the 17th Century of red sandstone, is probably the oldest surviving tower mill in Wirral and once ground corn for the local farmers. It was last used in 1860 and is now incorporated into the adjacent house.

St. Peter’s Church – The Tower dates from the fourteenth century and has served all three churches on this site. The first was built around 1300; the second in 1739, but it was severely damaged by a thunderstorm on 19th September 1875 during which both the organist and the organ boy were killed, and others injured. The present structure was finished in 1879.

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 18.12.38.png
IMG_6279 Large.jpeg

The Cave – Situated roughly half way up Thurstaston Road, the name derives from the cave located in the extensive grounds, in which local ship wreckers used to stash their ill-gotten gains. James Adam, a fruit broker from Liverpool, bought 1 acre 3 rods and 19 perches of land for £500 in October 1872 and employed architect Francis Doyle to design this beautiful property as an annual holiday home, until 1934, when Miss Penelope Adam took up permanent residence after her parents’ death. She lived there until 1959, when the house and extra ground totalling 21 acres was auctioned to a syndicate of local people for £12,700.

War Memorial – Just opposite the quaint Dee View pub, with breathtaking views across the River Dee to Wales, the War Memorial commemorates those 74 and 104 servicemen of the parish who fell in World Wars I and II respectively, and also the 7 civilians of the parish who were killed by enemy action during WWII. The site also contains the famous mirror places to aid drivers negotiate the tight bend – hence the nickname ‘Mirror Bend’ or Mirror Corner’.

Lloyds Bank – Built in 1907, it was designed by George Hastwell Grayson who also designed buildings at Trinity Collage Cambridge. The building at the rear, of brick and half timbering with herring bone pattern, was the manager’s house until the late 20th Century. In 1990 it was proposed to demolish it as part of the road widening scheme but this was defeated at the last minute prompted by the Heswall Society.

The Puddydale – The large green space of The Puddydale, a grassed area of 4 acres, was given to the Parish of Heswall in 1855 by the Enclosures Commission. The unusual name derives from a large pond or puddle near the road and winter time saw skating there. The flats, Red Dale, at the rear are built on the site of the school which stood there from 1909 for nearly 80 years before it was replaced by the current buildings in Whitfield Lane, still known as Heswall Primary School. The original school was always known as “The Puddydale”. The pond itself is remembered for sailing boats, fishing, and, sadly, as a Smithfield (drowning place) for kittens and puppies!

Heswall Cross Large.jpeg
bottom of page